A pioneer in scholarly open access publishing, MDPI has supported academic communities since 1996. Our mission is to foster open scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines. We operate more than 350 diverse, peer-reviewed, open access journals supported by over 35,500 academic editors. We serve scholars from around the world to ensure the latest research is openly and broadly available.
MDPI is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland with additional offices in Europe and Asia. We are committed to ensuring that high quality research is made available as quickly as possible. We also support sustainability projects, with sustainability as a key theme in many journals and through the MDPI Sustainability Foundation.
To strengthen our Information Security team, we are looking for a System and Security Engineer to assist in this extremely important task of keeping MDPI secure. The position of System and Security Engineer is a full-time and permanent position based in our headquarters in Basel, Switzerland.
As System and Security Engineer you will:
- Implementing, optimizing and monitoring security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and data
- Maintaining and improving IT security and backup systems based on service requirements
- Planning, installing and administering Linux servers in accordance with operational and project requirements
- Collaborating with development teams in order to optimize system implementation according to service requirements
- Investigating problematic and defective states to identify root causes and provide optimal possible solutions
- Taking care of the administration of network components like firewalls, routers and switches
- Providing support and solution to IT users (L2/L3 tier)
- BS or MS Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years proven work experience in a similar role as System and/ or Security Engineer
- Strong written and spoken English skills
- Experience in installing, administrating, building and maintaining security solutions
- Good knowledge in IT security, investigating incidents, patch vulnerability and backup management
- Good understanding on administration of the network assets: firewalls, switches (Cisco)
- Experience in ticketing system L2/L3 and troubleshooting operational issues keeping in mind the overall system operation
- Experience in standard open-source applications like databases, application servers, load balancers and proxies
- Good understanding on web application programming (e.g. PHP) language is a plus
- Recognized certification in IT security would be an asset
- Able to work independently and proactively
If you are interested in this position, we look forward to receiving your application. Please submit both your cover letter and CV. We look forward to welcoming you to our Basel office.