A pioneer in scholarly open access publishing, MDPI has supported academic communities since 1996. Our mission is to foster open scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines. We operate more than 350 diverse, peer-reviewed, open access journals supported by over 35,500 academic editors. We serve scholars from around the world to ensure the latest research is openly and broadly available.
Are you interested in supporting scientists and other researchers to publish cutting-edge scientific results? Do you have an eye for detail and out standing English editing skills? Did you spot the mistake in the previous sentence?
We are looking for meticulous and highly motivated individuals to join our team of full-time English editors in Manchester, UK.
As an English editor, you will be required to edit scholarly articles to a publishable standard of English, meet short deadlines, and hit targets with a high degree of consistency. This is a full-time position based in our Manchester office, with potential to work partially remotely. You must be familiar with Microsoft Word; experience using LaTeX is an advantage. All new editors undergo a probation period in which in-house training is provided by a senior editor. Alongside editing scholarly papers, there are ample opportunities to diversify and develop through additional responsibilities, such as editing corporate material, training new starters, working in the marketing department, covering departmental emails, and pursuing leadership positions.
Your Experience and Skills
All applicants must have the following:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in any subject.
- Advanced knowledge of English.
- Experience in both editing and writing.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word.
- Excellent time management and self-organisation skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- Willingness to collaborate with colleagues across the globe as part of an international team.
- An interest in scholarly research and working with research material.
The following are a benefit:
- Previous experience of editing, writing, or publishing.
- Experience using LaTeX.
- Experience working in a research environment.
- A PhD or equivalent qualification.
What We Offer
At MDPI, you will be joining an international team, working for the largest open-access publisher in the world. Among the benefits of working for MDPI, you can expect:
- In-house training of editing scholarly content and the use of MDPI style by one of our talented senior editors.
- To develop your editing skills at one of the leading academic publishing houses.
- A competitive salary, including our quarterly bonus scheme, which rewards high-performing editors and allowances for taking on additional responsibilities.
- 5% pay rise after passing the six-month probation period (10% pay rise for PhD candidates).
- Focused support from your group leader, who is your first point of contact for any issues.
- Flexible start time, between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- One moving day per year.
- Monthly socials, including office drinks and pizza, five-a-side football, and seasonal parties.